Principal Tim Smith has been appointed to the Hamilton Design Review Panel. Tim has played a key role in many regeneration initiatives in cities including Regina, Guelph, Detroit, Hartford, and St. Albert, Alberta. In Hamilton, he was the planner for the West Harbour Secondary Plan from 2002 – 2005.
From Hamilton’s website, the purpose of the Panel is to:
- Give advice and recommendations to staff on potential physical and aesthetic impacts of proposed buildings, landscapes, streetscapes, parks and infrastructure projects
- Improve the quality of design
- Provide supportive creative design responses in new development
- Foster an effective relationship with the development industry
- Increase public awareness about design in Hamilton
There are nine members on this panel that consist of:
- urban designers
- landscape architects
- heritage professionals
- green technology specialists
The recommendations of the panel are forwarded to Planning and Economic Development staff who accept them as input through the planning process and utilize these recommendations to shape the staff recommendation (or in the case of site plans the staff decision) going forward.