Sidewalk Toronto is a joint effort by Waterfront Toronto and Sidewalk Labs (an Alphabet company) to create a Master Innovation and Development Plan for Quayside – a 12-acre site along Toronto’s eastern waterfront. Urban Strategies has been retained by Sidewalk Labs to provide strategic planning consultant services for this project. In this role, we are working with the Sidewalk Labs’ team based in New York and Toronto to provide urban planning and design expertise for one of the most ambitious approaches to city building ever undertaken. The project’s sustainability, place making, mobility and other goals include:
- Incorporating a diversity of housing options including rental units, units suitable for families, affordable units, and middle income units;
- Significantly reducing greenhouse gas emissions at Quayside compared to a typical development;
- Creating a flexible ground floor strategy, called the Stoa, that combines innovations in physical space, financing, digital services, and management of program mix;
- Designing streets and managing usage digitally to support a shift to AVs and shared mobility; and
- Fostering an all-ages, pedestrian-first public realm activated by extensive transit, bike, and pedestrian networks.
The Sidewalk project is breaking new ground and setting the bar for similar large-scale urban regeneration developments the world over.